Translate

Friday, June 5, 2009

Budget AGAIN!! Budget still??

The Governor and legislature while adopting a supposed 2009-10 budget several months ago are now engaged in a mid-year reduction – before the ink is dry on the first version. There are lots of proposals and scenarios being suggested and we should be cautious in reacting to proposals prior to some clear action on the part of Sacramento. As an example, we heard yesterday that home-to-school transportation was essentially being eliminated (in terms of funding), districts will be able to use the “August 15th layoff” procedure, etc.

While I don’t have any intent to engage in ANY of the wild proposals that are being forwarded, I am clear that the 2010-11 budget year will be very difficult as the “one-time funds” (including the stimulus) will no longer be available. If something does not change dramatically in Sacramento during the 09-10 school year, it is clear that Riverside and every other district in the state will be engaged in reductions FAR beyond anything we have been able to imagine at this point.

On a related note, I met with Kenn Young, Riverside County Superintendent and Dr. Wendel Tucker, Alvord USD Superintendent to develop a video of some of the impacts on our local system with this most recent round of discussion in Sacramento. The video was part of RCOE’s Focus on Education production which is included.

I would encourage you to be aware of the very difficult situation we are in with our funding from the state, BUT at the same time avoid wild speculation about the dismal impacts it might have on each of us. We have a balanced budget and a plan to get through this year. We will work together to strategize the next budget cycle in spring 2010 – when it arrives.

2 comments:

  1. All I can say is that I am hurt...I was one of the elementary teachers that got laid off. My passion...the one thing that brings joy to my life was taken away from me. Now reading this..my hopes of being rehired back is possibly never. Many say Riverside Unified School District is not doing so bad compared to other schools..but why did Corona District not lay off any teachers? They did the furlough..which was mentioned at RUSD but never done because too many don't care. Do you know the impact I had on my students? I know you have no control over this. But it hurts to know that RUSD will move on and think that the ones that are staying are amazing..how do they know they didn't get rid of the great amazing teachers? All I can see is that scores are going to drastically go down. I feel like if RUSD unites everyone...something can be done. But since most are not affected like us new teachers, no one cares and doesn't bother to do anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Classified said...
    You are important and I am sad to see this happening. Many of my friends are affected by the budget cuts too. My co-worker was laid off last year and we have another one "forced into retirement" this year and she isn't going to be replaced. We are cross-training to help cover that position. I don't know how we are going to manage. Please don't misunderstand me, I am very grateful to have a job and I'm sure you would trade places with me if you could. The majority of classified employees want furloughs to help keep jobs, as long as "everyone" participates. The last I heard was that RCTA did not want to participate (ask Mark Lawrence, he says "they" have the money). Don't loose your passion. RUSD has some amazing employees and we must unit for the good of everyone.

    ReplyDelete