Translate

Friday, January 6, 2012

Conundrum?

So this past week I had the opportunity to read USA Today and found a most interesting set of articles that were juxtaposed on the same page (6A) on opposite sides. 

On the one side, there is a description of a major and growing problem with schools and people that are trying to "cheat" their state test for the purpose of appearing "good" rather than being concerned about the primary mission of schools:  student learning.  The most egregious example cited being the Atlanta Public Schools in Georgia.  I am not sure why it would be a surprise that when there is extraordinarily high focus and penalty / reward of test results -- that people can and do try to beat the test in in unethical, immoral ways.

The interesting part was that right next to this article was another that brought us up-to-date on the whereabouts and achievements of Michelle Rhee, former Chancellor of the Washington DC Public School.  The curiosity is that Ms. Rhee continues to propose more "high stakes testing" as a great solution, while there is some evidence that under her short administration in DC there is substantial evidence on an unusually high rate of "erasures" -- which is commonly a sign of "extra" help on state assessments.

Juxtaposition???

When will we start talking about an improved learning?  Clearly assessment is important IF we don't forget that this is about the learning of students, not passing tests.  The other part of this conundrum is that most of our state assessments are minimalist and very narrow -- leaving out other important arenas of learning such as:  history, science, music, fine arts, etc.

So what did you learn over the holiday break?

1 comment:

  1. What did *I* learn over the break? I learned how to do science projects with my boys. My 4th and 2nd graders had never done a science project before, and even for this parent-teacher, it was a learning experience. I am so grateful for the renewed focus at Bryant Elementary. It has been a hard road these last few years, with this being our fourth principal in five years, but I see such a difference with the Core Knowledge program. I have grown weary of hearing about test and API scores, so I am blown away just looking at teacher walls filled with social science lessons and SCIENCE and ART and hearing MUSIC! (and yes, there is still reading, writing and math.)My boys are thriving, and so it seems are so many of the other students I see. I don't know how you can put this valuable experience in a bubble. Just like saying 'Thank you, Bryant A&I teachers' doesn't seem enough. Christal Pennington

    ReplyDelete