Translate

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Investment?

There has probably MORE than enough written by me and others about the current budget situation in California and how it effects schools and students. 

Recently, we had a Spring Break and I had the chance to leave town for a few days and decompress.  As part of that process, I had the chance to read a bit (not as much as I would like).  One of the books I had a chance to read was Stones Into Schools which follows Mortensen's original book of his personal journey, Three Cups of Tea -- either of which I would recommend.

I was struck me, was that this was a book about building schools in Afghanistan -- in the midst of a war and following an earlier war involving the Soviets as well as significant tribal issues.  Yet at the heart of it was the firm belief of the local citizens in the education/schooling of their children as being their future.  They were willing to invest their resources and even their lives to make that happen.  Umm...

No comments:

Post a Comment