Translate

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Budget

So we still don't have a state budget and have not much of an idea of when that might actually happen.  So what does it all mean?  When will it  happen? etc.  So if I could, I would like to share my guesses (realizing that ALL guesses are accurate -- some are just closer). 

First, I think the budget will be late -- but we will have one as Sacramento will at some point need to get home and campaign for the election.
Second, this is an election year -- so I seriously doubt that we will see much more than a "get out of town budget" -- that will not make changes and will not deal with the basic problem.
Third, there will be a variety of new people elected in November (based on others being "termed out"), they take office in January.  The Governor's budget in January and mid-year modifications are not likely to be too crazy as people won't be sure what to do -- given the circumstances and the size of the problem.
Fourth, we will hit the wall with the May Revise as Sacramento is forced to deal with the issue and politically they are in the best place to fix it and to blame it on their predecessors.  The 11-12 Budget Year will be very difficult (as if we were already dealing with enough).

That's my guess -- what's yours?

5 comments:

  1. I think your "guesses" are pretty accurate. So as a laid off teacher high on the seniority list I think there is a chance I may get my job back sometime this school year, only to be pink slipped and laid off again next year. I have heard from more than one source it will take education 2 to 5 years to recover from this financial mess. I expect it to be a rollercoaster ride for my family financially for that long as well. This is a sad situation we face!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe the 'guesses' are pretty safe guesses. Yes, there will be changes in November/January, but lets not wait for these changes, and the May revise. We need to continue to forge ahead, to support Assembly Speaker John Perez, as he places education in the forefront. We also need to elect a Governor, who supports education, not big business, into office in November.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If we didn't depend on the state for our budget it would be better. Property taxes were supposed to be for local schools, police, and fire somewhere along the line we lost that.

    I feel our local money should be kept local and not given to us from on high.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish someone would acknowledge the teachers that are laid off. It's like we got pushed to the side with only a letter that says, "FINAL TERMINATION!" There was no thank you for your services in our district, a hand shake..nothing. I signed an early contract with the district because I felt the district was secure and in the past their record of laying off teachers in the area was the best. I feel like I made the wrong choice. I think the district should have considered other ways to cut instead of teachers, or classified employees. I would have rather seen the district cut paper and copy supplies than I would cut teachers. My families struggling already and this just made it worse. We don't know where to go or what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just wondering how the federal money that could be coming will help RUSD. It sounds like it is close to passing (final vote on Aug. 10)The NEA estimates that about 13,000 teachers will be brought back in California. What does that mean to RUSD? How many jobs could that save and how soon? The article I read said as soon as it passes, some districts plan on hiring back teachers to start the year and just waiting for the funding to catch up soon after. Any chance of that happening in Riverside?

    Also, does anyone know how many teachers are still laid off in California?

    ReplyDelete