Translate

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Giving Back

It was great to be part of the inaugural Joanna Hayes Foundation celebration last night. Joanna, as most, if not all of you are aware was an RUSD student that graduated from John W. North High School and then went on to Olympic gold in track. However, this night was the initiation of her foundation and the first class of girls that will be working with Joanna and her “10 Hurdles to Success.”

Joanna’s concept is to work with girls and train them to be successful women and citizens during a 12 week course taught by her.  At graduation she will provide each senior with financial support for their next step in post-secondary education. Joanna is supported by the Community Foundation, Kellogg Foundation, and many others. Once again we have a successful Riversider who has been successful and is now giving back to our students and community.  Great evening, great lady, great for Riverside!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Joanna! You deserve an Olympic Gold for your efforts and your foundation! Having a daughter, I think it's great that there are role models like yourself to empower these young ladies to plot their own destinies and ensure a happy sucessful future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just have to say that Joanna is a beautiful soul. I have had the pleasure of weaving in and out of Joanna's life throughout the years. Most often from the back seat. We attended Liberty Elementary School together and even back then I could see something special in her! I was astonished to see her again running in a college meet! I had goosebumps and tears in my eyes as I watched her win that gold medal. I can only say, "Way to go, Joanna!"

    ReplyDelete