Translate

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Mobile platforms in the 21st century learning environment

Frequently, I have people ask me -- what do you think schools will "look like" in the 21st century? The reality is that I don't know -- but I think we have possible clues and insights into some of the possibilities if we continue to be curious and look around.

Recently, I stumbled upon one example/view of one way it could "look." A Texas university, Abilene Christian University (ACU) has launched an initiative to integrate various tools into their learning environment. They have various kinds of information available on their website. However, they also have an interesting 17-18 minute video available that more or less follows the orientation of an incoming freshman to ACU -- if you can put the Apple commercial aside. They have also tried to articulate the changes and differences between the learning and environment with have known in the 20th century with that they anticipate and "see" in the 21st.

While I am not sure that the ACU solution applies to all of us, I can see many of our high schools (and even middle schools) in the future having interconnected systems and applications similar to those demonstrated at ACU.

So what is your best guess?

3 comments:

  1. I must tell you Dr. Miller that the only way school children test scores will improve will be if the teaching staff is treated with respect and if their opinions are asked and genuinely considered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Schools will not look differently if principals are inconsiderate of their teachers. Also, secretaries SHOULD NOT be in charge of the schools. Principals should not secretaries making decisions that teachers should be making.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. Miller,
    Your blog is very informative, progressive, and thought provoking. Now that I've read the January posts I'll be following it regularly. Thank you for sharing your insights.

    ReplyDelete