Translate

Thursday, October 8, 2009

English Language Learners

Interesting review of our English Learner (EL) student data over the past several weeks with our "principal summits." Each school and principal has a little different setting regarding their EL students and needs. We have schools where 70% of their students are EL and on the opposite end of the spectrum we have schools with 2% of their students with the need to acquire English Language. It is not a surprise that the vast majority of our EL students are Spanish speakers; however, within the mix of our schools we have some situations where the majority of EL students are NOT Spanish speakers but come from various other languages and cultures (there are approximately 40 different languages we serve with EL students).

What I found most interesting was the fact that of our 8,095 EL students 82% of them were born in the U.S. (and probably Riverside). Obviously, those same students began school with us in Kindergarten and the 1st grade. I would hope that we can extend the gift these students have with capacity in English. It is a tremendous asset to them individually and our economic community to be bilingual, bicultural, and biliterate in a global economic society.

4 comments:

  1. I am encouraged by your hope to support Spanish (or other) language development for our English Learners. It would be exciting to apply the same innovation (digital textbooks) to support biliteracy. What do you see as your next steps in extending this gift?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am excited to have a leader that is concerned with this group of students:) Thank you Dr. Miller! My principal feels the same way.
    I think that if they enter in K at a beginning level, we should monitor them closely to ensure that they move according to the State expectation that AMAO1 measures and not wait until they become a LTEL to see what is happening. If we set non-negotiable expectations by grade level and focus on ELD standards we should be well on our way. It is a hard job, but well worth it!
    Norma Rodriguez-Highgrove Elementary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Dr. Miller for this public acknowledgement of some of the reality in our district and in Riverside as a whole. I also appreciate that you speak of the 'gift that these students have'. Their bilingualism and biculturalism is indeed a gift to be appreciated and built upon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since I started my position as Coordinated Family Services Supervisor, I have seen great growth in parent involvement. I appreciate the support and interest from the principals who have worked with me diligently to increase parent involvement at their schools. Thanks to Gloria Cowder who had the great incite to co-fund my position, I am now able to work with all the school sites in our district. Parent involvement is growing annually as the parents become more informed, comfortable and welcome. I know this will have a great impact on our EL students.

    ReplyDelete