Translate

Thursday, February 11, 2010

My Thanks and Appreciation

I realize that this is a very stressful time. All of us are upset with the choices and actions that are being required of us. It affects our friends / colleagues / family members, etc. – and it hurts!!

I truly appreciate the willingness of those of you who read this blog, post comments (which requires some sense of courage), and talk about difficult subjects. We need to be able to “talk” to each other and reasonably discuss these most difficult issues – and YOU have been doing that. Thank you!!

I understand that it is even more difficult for those of you who did get layoff / reduction / etc. notices. We have been and will continue to look for ways to address these horrific issues in the most prudent manner possible.  We need to try and be a family in these most challenging times and serve our students.  I am sure that the essence & strength of our system is our people. I would continue to encourage you contact our local legislators regarding the incredible impact of these state reductions.

4 comments:

  1. I'm left wondering why it is necessary to give so many pink slips unless there is a plan to lay off these employees. Certainly your business department could make a better estimate of the budget and determine what cuts will actually be needed. This procedure is unnecessarily disruptive, affects morale, and more importantly, does not respect the impact on the lives and families of faculty and staff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Miller, a question, do you recommend we write/contact every single person on the local legislators link you have here that pertains to RUSD? Honestly, will any of those people on the list care about a teacher with 4 years senority? My wife got a pink slip will most likely be loosing her job this year. Nothing against you personally Dr. Miller, but the state of Public Education in California is pathetic. It seems to me like it's all lip service. Any recommendations on who to write or call is apprecaited.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember the state has not yet passed their budget. so an estimate is the only way. The district has a strict deadline for contacting the RIF people, but the state legislators and governor have more time to announce their plans for our money, even with a deadline. The district is using what it knows about next year and is doing what they can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous I am sorry about your family's struggle. I agree it feels futile to contact legislators who are resigned to make decisions based on a state spiralling into inevitable fiscal collapse. Their concern seems to be in seeing to it that the greatest number of their constituents feel like they (the legislators) are on our (the voter's ) side. Thats why as district employees of all levels and classes, we need to shout loud and clear "Save Education!" They WILL listen to and try to protect the largest of their interest groups, education needs to be the largest and most vocal. That has got to start with me. I'll contact them all. It will help me feel I have taken a step to control my destiny. I hope you and all district employees will join me.

    ReplyDelete